- Volvo's flagship model takes Hybrid Seven-Seater of the Year title in the first What Car? Electric Car Awards
- XC90 Recharge Plug-in Hybrid T8 praised for its luxury, practicality and performance
- Plug-in hybrid system delivers both performance and exceptional efficiency – 0-100kph in 5.8 seconds, CO2 emissions from 63g/km and up to 100.9mpg
- Seven individual seats featured in a fully flexible interior that is luxurious, comfortable and practical
- Available in R-Design and Inscription equipment grades, plus higher-specification 'Pro' versions of each
The accolade further emphasizes the large luxury SUV's status: it also received 'best plug-in hybrid' honours in the general What Car? Awards in both 2019 and 2020, plus the 2019 'best-used hybrid' title.
What Car? describes the XC90 Recharge T8 as an "outstanding plug-in hybrid package" that is "luxurious, spacious and quick". Although it is a large vehicle, its pure-electric driving range is considered "plenty to electrify most commutes or school runs", while its powertrain also offers "great performance". Summing up, What Car? reports: "All in all, its practicality and performance make the XC90 one of the most versatile PHEVs going."
The plug-in hybrid system combines a 303hp 2.0-litre petrol engine with an 87hp electric motor in what is the most potent powertrain in the XC90 range. Not only does this enable acceleration from rest to 100kmph in just 5.8 seconds, its superb efficiency means CO2 emissions from just 63g/km (WLTP) and fuel economy of up to 100.9mpg (WLTP Combined cycle).
The XC90 Recharge T8 is available in two main grades, R-Design and Inscription, and in higher-specification 'Pro' versions of both. Standard features include a four-zone climate control system, all-wheel drive (via a rear-axle electric motor), power-operated tailgate, LED headlights, heated, power-adjustable front seats, leather upholstery (plus Nubuck on the R-Design/R-Design Pro versions) and a rear parking camera.
Sensus connectivity provides a nine-inch touchscreen to co-ordinate the car's navigation and multimedia functions, voice control, access to the Volvo On Call connected services platform and a SIM card with up to 100GB of data. The Volvo City Safety package of active safety systems is also provided as standard on all versions.
The comfortable and fully flexible interior provides seven individual seats in three rows, together with generous loadspace that can be easily extended when extra cargo capacity is needed.